Advance care planning in the context of COVID-19
How will this training help me in my role?
This training has been developed for care home staff to support advance care planning discussions with residents and family members during the COVID-19 period.
The aim of the website is to provide training that:
- is practical and digestible, delivered across bite-sized units
- centres on advance care planning for care home residents within the particular context of COVID-19
- builds on your existing knowledge, skills and competencies
- can be shared with other members of staff in your organisation
- will help to equip you to have advance care planning discussions in your day-to-day role
How is the training delivered?
This training has been designed so you can complete it at your own pace, and at a time convenient to you.
It contains six units, and we anticipate that each unit will take you approximately 20 minutes to complete.
The units are made up of a variety of brief articles and videos. We have also included some short activities to enable you to think about how this learning applies to your care setting. A certificate of achievement can be downloaded after completing the 6 units.
As part of this resource, we are evaluating this training. You will have the opportunity at the end of this training to provide feedback to us about your experience of undertaking and using this information. Your views are really important to us and we value your feedback.
You will see on the website that we have also developed some information for family members about advance care planning. You may find it helpful to review that information before hosting any advance care planning conversations with family members.
Advance care planning and your role
As a member of staff in a care home, you bring a wealth of important experience and knowledge to this training. Please spend a few minutes thinking about your role in relation to advance care planning and making a few notes.
You may wish to consider the following questions:
- What does advance care planning mean to you?
- Is advance care planning something you currently facilitate in your role in the care home?
- At this moment in time, how confident do you feel having conversations about advance care planning?
- Consider any previous experiences of advance care planning discussions with residents and family members. You might find it useful to think of specific examples if you can. What was this like?
- What would you like to get from this training?